Digital & Print Publications Production Director
The College Board, a national education organization, is conducting a search for a Digital & Print Publications Production Director. This position is based in the College Board’s New York City headquarters. This position is a 2-year term position with benefits, the position has a possibility of extension.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This role requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
Pre-AP is a new program that offers instructional resources and classroom-based assessments to schools that are interested in earning an official Pre-AP designation from the College Board.
Pre-AP courses get students ready for AP and other college-level coursework. The program launched in fall of 2018 in eight new courses for ninth grade, with others to follow.
The Pre-AP Program’s objectives are to:
- Significantly increase the number of students who are able to access and complete college-level work—like AP—before leaving high school.
- Improve the college readiness of all students.
About the Role
The Production Director is a central member of the Pre-AP and SpringBoard Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment team and is responsible for developing and managing the Pre-AP production plans and processes (from initial planning and budget scoping through printing, digital conversion, and release of final publications) to produce the full suite of Pre-AP course materials.
What you’ll do
- Create and manage production schedules for all print and print-to-digital publications; communicate with external production vendors about schedules and project status
- Closely collaborate with Pre-AP content editors and freelancers to establish assignments and due dates to ensure timely delivery of manuscripts to production
- Traffic and organize files across Pre-AP team members, freelancers, and vendors
- Establish email protocols for deliveries and queries among internal and external teams
- Establish need, format, and agenda for recurring project meetings
- Create and manage a central archive and associated processes to maintain the content and image InDesign files underlying eleven Pre-AP courses and their sub-components
- Establish and promote the use of file-naming conventions for all assets
- Build and maintain logical and organized file and folder structures for team members, freelancers, and vendors to store and transmit content assets; establish and maintain database of Pre-AP content assets.
- Document all processes governing the use of digital and print assets in Pre-AP content.
Permissions, Art, and Image Management
- Maintain and manage permissions logs; coordinate with AP permissions researcher and/or permissions vendor to secure permissions
- Build and maintain image and art logs for Pre-AP publications
- Complete art specs for all Pre-AP manuscripts as they enter the production phase
Production Expertise, Tools, and Processes
- Apply in-depth knowledge of assets that comprise each Pre-AP course to supply production vendors with book files, fonts, templates, design and printer specifications, and best practices documentation.
- Represent the Pre-AP/SpringBoard content development team’s point of view in quality-control processes with CB’s Brand Experience team as well as with design and production vendors’ work. Enforce high standards with design and production vendors on template design and set up of book files for each development project.
- Communicate effectively with print vendor and across multiple teams to ensure that Pre-AP is following optimal print procedures. Coordinate printing of Pre-AP publications with the SpringBoard/Pre-AP Director of Content Development and the Print Operations team.
- Support the digital quality assurance workflow, in collaboration with the Pre-AP Platform team, to ensure a seamless conversion of print-to-digital content assets
- B.A. or B.S. degree.
- 5-7 years experience in print and digital publishing; experience in educational publishing
- Experience leading digital content conversion projects from source files through XML to HTML outputs
- Experience working with multi-level and multi-component products in both print and digital formats
- Project management experience and success executing project plans and meeting deadlines
- Comfort working in a dynamic environment, and a flexible and adaptive working style
More about you
- Have strong interpersonal skills and a record of building successful working relationships with team members as well as external constituents.
- Possess a strong understanding of best practices for content development
- Have exceptional technical skills; high computer literacy, including the Adobe Design Suite, Microsoft Office applications, and online collaboration and project planning tools
- Are experienced with InCopy/InDesign and Adobe Acrobat Pro editorial workflows and XML conversions (e.g., proprietary XML, NIMAS)
- Operate with a strong customer-service orientation with ability to synthesize customer needs and recommend a product response
- Are organized, detail oriented, and thorough in your work while meeting your critical deadlines
- Are a good communicator with strong verbal and written communication skills
- Are a self-starter that can operate well in fast-paced environments and likes a challenge
- Are willing to travel up to 15% of the year
- Are strongly committed to expanding educational opportunity for all students
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
If you are interested in joining the College Board in this position and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to apply by submitting your resume and a brief, introductory cover letter through our Careers page at www.collegeboard.org/careers
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.