Senior Director, Agile Center of Excellence
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Director, Agile Center of Excellence for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
The College Board is seeking a Senior Director to manage, oversee, and lead the College Board’s Agile Center of Excellence (Agile CoE). The Agile CoE provides Agile coaching services for College Board teams as well as managers and leadership. The Agile CoE also maintains a roadmap for the College Board’s Agile journey and recommends a prioritization of continuous improvements to key stakeholders that enables a continuous improvement environment with a focus on empowering teams, transparency into all work, and contributes to a collaborative culture. This role is a hands-on role that focuses on maturing Agile at scale at the College Board by meeting the teams and organization where they are in the process and guiding them in their maturity, with a primary focus on team level improvements. This role also plays a critical leadership role to improve partnerships between service units and business (program/product) units, enable greater transparency into delivery progress, contribute to and evolve a culture of continuous improvement, identify and eliminate waste, improve quality, and increase delivery flow and value generated by teams. This role solicits and integrates information related to agility across the College Board and works with stakeholders throughout the organization at various level to influence change, solicit and achieve buy-in, and communicate the value of agility effectively.
We are looking for a collaborative, positive, enthusiastic, pragmatic servant leader who demonstrates strong creativity and innovative thinking, demonstrates adaptability and agility, is passionate and/or knowledgeable about the education industry as well as Agile trends, and can synthesize and communicate information across a wide range of stakeholders.
What you’ll do
- Manage a team of Agile coaches responsible for coaching multiple teams that support significant lines of business at the College Board, including team level and scaled Agile across teams to enable to successful delivery of work based on business value.
- Maintain, update, and lead areas of execution for the Agile Center of Excellence roadmap by soliciting input from key stakeholders and recommending prioritization that brings the most business value based on organizational, program/product, and/or service unit goals.
- Provide thought leadership to help streamline work intake, planning, and reporting processes to ensure processes support Lean and Agile principles that guide and influences metrics to increase organizational agility.
- Oversees processes, policies, procedures, training, and tooling changes to continuously improve the flow of work based on feedback from key stakeholders and teams.
- Facilitate team workshops to help new and/or maturing teams understand Agile and Lean principles, Scrum, Kanban, individual and team roles and responsibilities.
- Key stakeholder in the College Board’s Agile training program for employees and contractors regarding College Board Agile processes, tools, and policies.
- Directly coach new Agile teams with sprint 0 planning and implementation.
- Provide ad hoc coaching to teams that have implemented Agile but need assistance to refine their processes.
- Provide practical hands on mentoring to team members, Scrum Masters, Product Owners and managers of new and existing Agile teams.
- Evolve and maintain the College Board’s Agile maturity assessment model, which assesses team and organizational performance and Agile maturity, including sharing findings with the Agile Center of Excellence stakeholders and teams.
- Lead and participate in Agile communities of practices.
- Communicate value of Agile and Agile successes to others in the organization, including senior leadership.
- Coach executives, managers, and business partners on understanding how to apply Agile principles in their organization.
- Ensure organization-wide Agile artifacts and methodology documentation are kept up to date and relevant.
- Observe Agile coaches to provide feedback on improvements and consistency (where necessary).
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required.
- 7-10 years of progressively responsible work experience with cross-functional, multi-dimensional teams, and multi-disciplinary projects of high complexity to meet strategic goals
- 7-10 years of experience in Agile organizational transformations, project management, Agile, Coaching teams, managers and executives
- 4+ years of Agile implementation experience, with direct experience coaching at the team level
More about you
- Outstanding communication, presentation, and facilitation skills
- Must be able to develop and maintain productive working relationships with a wide variety of teams and leaders
- Demonstrated high level of analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to create pragmatic and actionable recommendations and solutions
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills
- Ability to articulate benefits of Agile
- Strong Scrum Master skills
- Demonstrated expertise working with Kanban, Scrum, and/or Scrum ban
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to independently prepare, seek feedback, and distribute important communication to various audiences in a manner tailored to that audience
- Knowledge of scaling frameworks (e.g., Scrum of Scrums, SaFE, LeSS, and DaD)
- Knowledge and experience with change management
- Experience training and mentoring teams
- Successful experience presenting to senior level executives.
- Preferred, but not required
- Experience with Test Driven Development and DevOps
- Jira project and portfolio expertise
- Certified Scrum Master, Certified Scrum Product Owner, Certified Scrum Professional, and Certified Scrum Trainer
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.