Cloud Software Engineer
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Cloud Software Engineer I for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The College Board – a not-for-profit membership organization dedicated to providing excellence and equity in education – manages a complex and comprehensive suite of data systems, data feeds and reports to support students and educators across multiple assessments, programs and services. Working within the Information Technology division and across Operations and key business units, the Senior Cloud Software Engineer will analyze procedures, and design and implement solutions to attain high data quality and process automation.
Additionally, candidate will be responsible for highly complex java/Apec coding, managing small sections of ongoing projects and closely adhering to deadlines. Candidate will also take responsibility for creating design specifications, unit testing, and preparing technical documentation.
The Cloud Software Engineer I must have excellent written and oral communication skills, and be adaptive to the changing needs of the organization. The Senior Cloud Software Engineer must have experience with building and maintaining highly effective relationships with team members and multiple stakeholders across multiple projects.
What you’ll do
- Design, develop and implement solutions, based on a set of standards and processes which establish consistency across the enterprise data, reduce risk, and promote efficiencies in support of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Competence in several programming languages and technologies (especially in Apex & Visualforce), working knowledge of multiple tools sets, technologies and implementation environments
- Working knowledge of Salesforce.com, J2EE, Oracle PL/SQL, MVC application framework, design patterns, web and application servers
- Assist in the development of full stack solutions and continuous delivery frameworks that improve the ability of the CB IT delivery teams to efficiently deliver solutions with quality.
- Write complex code, building infrastructure as code, work with immutable “cloud” based environments, and build the supporting automated toolsets to test and deploy the systems they develop.
- Responsible for the quality of their work; will develop and implement a set of quality criteria and the associated validation method to ensure that any deliverable meets the expected quality levels of our customers, use quality management to ensure quality levels are maintained, seek new approaches and techniques to improve quality levels, employ reviews and observations to maintain the quality and continuous improvement process, and analyze the impact of quality control and quality assurance on project performance.
- Use metrics to establish feasibility of new initiatives and develop plans, including budget, sequencing and time frames.
- Actively review their own and the team’s work processes and implement improvements seen from other teams or in industry to drive continuous improvement of the team’s efficiency, speed, and quality.
- The candidate will plan for work, manage and lead smaller development teams but is primarily a hands-on engineer that leads by doing. The candidate will also take responsibility for creating design specifications, unit testing, and preparing technical documentation.
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or MIS.
- 2-3 years of experience in software systems, programming, and infrastructure development and administration
- Minimum 2 years demonstrated experience with Salesforce.com Configuration and Administration.
More about you
- Minimum 2 years demonstrated experience with Java development.
- Experience with Distributed Service Standards (SOAP, REST, EJB)
- Experience with revision code source code repositories in particular git and SVN
- Strong and evolving competence in several programming languages and technologies, working knowledge of multiple tools sets, technologies and implementation environments
- Knowledge in the knowledge of programming languages, relational databases, and NoSQL databases
- Experience building infrastructure as code using AWS CloudFormation or similar scripting techniques
- Familiarity with monitoring tool suites like DataDog, SumoLogic, NewRelic, and Nagios
- Practical Linux based systems administration skills and scripting experience in a Cloud based environment
- Ability to work independently
- Strong problem solving and analytic skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects and assignments simultaneously and effectively in a cross-functional team environment
- Experience with Chef, Puppet, Salt, or Ansible in production environments
- Management of continuous integration servers like Jenkins and Bamboo
- Experience with automated testing tools (i.e. Cucumber, Selenium, JMeter) are a plus
- Experience with Appian a plus
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.