Senior Software Engineer/ Devops (Java Script, UI, Frontend)
Senior DevOps Engineer
The College Board is conducting a search for a Sr SoftwareEngineer/ DevOps for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
As a Senior Software Engineer/ DevOps, the candidate will be responsible for highly complex software development activities including coding, managing small sections of ongoing projects and closely adhering to deadlines. Candidate will also take responsibility for creating design specifications, unit testing, and preparing technical documentation. Candidate will ensure relationships with customers and cross-team members are professional and meet expectations.
The ideal candidate will have designed, developed and implemented solutions that support business functionality as well as the underlying infrastructure required to run and deploy those solutions. The candidate must possess the technical skills and experiences with Amazon Web Services and continuous delivery systems.
The Sr. Software Engineer/ DevOps engineer must have excellent written and oral communication skills and be adaptive to the changing needs of the department and the organization. Must have experience with building and maintaining highly effective relationships with team members and multiple stakeholders across multiple projects.
What you’ll do
- Develop full stack solutions and continuous delivery frameworks that improve the ability of the CB IT delivery teams to efficiently deliver solutions with quality and reduced time to market
- Design, develop and implement automated solutions, based on a set of standards and processes which establish consistency across the enterprise, reduce risk, and promote efficiencies in support of the organization’s goals and objectives
- Responsible for the quality of their work; will develop and implement a set of quality criteria and the associated validation method to ensure that any deliverable meets the expected quality levels of our customers, use quality management standards/metrics to ensure quality levels are maintained, seek new approaches and techniques to improve quality levels and analyze the impact of quality control and quality assurance on project performance
- Actively review their own and the team’s work product and implement improvements seen from other teams or within the industry to drive continuous improvement of the team’s efficiency, speed, and quality.
- Provide support (coaching and mentoring) for teammate's work activities on a regular basis
- Write complex code, building infrastructure as code, work with immutable “cloud” based environments, and build the supporting automated toolsets necessary to support the continuous delivery pipeline
- The candidate is primarily a hands-on engineer that leads by doing. The candidate will also take responsibility for creating design specifications, unit testing, and preparing technical documentation. Develop a solution to integrate the life cycle from business initiation through operational integrity
- Support the development of standards by creating templates for ease of use and increase system productivity
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or MIS
- 7+ years of experience in software systems, programming, and infrastructure development and administration
- Minimum 5 years demonstrated experience with full stack development
More about you
- Possess technical skills and experience in the virtual infrastructure domain, specifically Amazon Web Services.
- Fundamentals in OO and computer science foundation principles.
- Demonstrated experience with AWS cloud supported programming languages like Java, Node JS, React JS, Angular JS or Python development.
- Working knowledge of distributed architectural design patterns
- Working knowledge of AWS Serverless architecture
- Experience with the Atlassian Suite, Sonar, Crucible and Electric Commander
- Experience with Distributed Service Standards (SOAP, REST, EJB)
- Demonstrated experience with AWS Lambda, SNS/SQS, S3, IAM, CloudWatch, EC2, RDS and DynamoDB, AWS CLI
- Familiarity with monitoring tool suites like DataDog, SumoLogic, NewRelic, and Nagios
- Experience with revision code source code repositories, in particular git and SVN
- Experience with automated testing tools (i.e. selenium, JMeter) are a plus
- Expertise in the knowledge of programming languages, relational databases, and NoSQL databases
- Strong practical Linux based systems administration skills and scripting experience in a Cloud based environment
- Working knowledge of IP networking, VPNs, DNS, load balancing and firewalling
- Experience building infrastructure as code using AWS CloudFormation or similar scripting techniques
- Experience with Chef, Puppet, Salt, or Ansible in production environments
- Management of continuous integration servers like Jenkins and Bamboo
- Experience as a DevOPS engineer in a scalable production environment
- Ability to self-manage assigned tasks and projects
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Strong interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication
- Strong decision-making, problem-solving skills, critical thinking and testing skills
- Experience with FTL
- Experience working in an Agile/ Scrum team
- Experience with OAuth 2.0, SAML, and identity federation highly desired
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.