Assessment Specialist /Senior Assessment Specialist,- Reading
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for an Assessment /Sr. Assessment Specialist - Reading. This position can be based out of Iowa City, IA or New York, NY.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
A position for an individual with appropriate qualifications and relevant experience in English, education, or English Language Arts assessment (Assessment Specialist), or for an individual with a minimum of four to six years’ experience in standardized, large-scale K-12 or K-16 assessment development (Senior Assessment Specialist). Teaching experience at the middle school/junior high, high school, or post-secondary level is preferred.
Under the direction of a manager in the ELA/Literacy group, work as part of a team, making important individual contributions to the ELA/Literacy group and gaining valuable knowledge and experience. Implement defined operational goals and process/procedure improvements for assigned tests. Possess, develop, and share subject matter expertise. With close supervision, provide specific direction for vendors, partners, and independent contractors providing assessment products and services. Develop and review assigned test materials. Monitor and help improve content quality. Develop autonomy and trained judgment. Foster a collaborative, collegial, mission-focused work environment.
What you’ll do
- Source and develop an assigned number of test passages and questions in accordance with established quality and process standards and within established timelines.
- Review prospective passages, questions, and operational/practice forms, with an aim of helping monitor and improve content quality.
- Participate actively in the ELA/Literacy team, including contributing to the agenda for ELA/Literacy.
- Contribute actively to ELA/Literacy assessments and assessment-related projects within AD&D, including implementing defined operational ELA/Literacy assessment goals and process/procedure improvements; maintaining timelines; monitoring and improving progress toward goals; ensuring quality and process standards are upheld; serving as a content expert; and providing status updates to director-level ELA/Literacy staff, as needed.
- Gain operational and content expertise within AD&D; provide expertise in assessment, standards, instruction, curriculum and/or closely related area to internal clients. Keep up-to-date on trends and developments in ELA/literacy standards, instruction, curriculum, and assessment.
- With close supervision, may provide specific direction to vendors, partners, and independent contractors tasked with providing assessment products and services.
- Acquire a general understanding of the work of other departments and divisions within the College Board and of the organization as a whole.
- Develop autonomy and independent, trained judgment under close supervision.
- Help promote a collaborative, constructive, mission-focused work environment in which the highest standards of quality and process are established and maintained; problems are prevented or quickly corrected with the least possible impact; staff are nurtured; creativity and problem solving are encouraged and rewarded; and the needs and expectations of students and other stakeholders are foremost in mind.
Communicate and coordinate closely with AD&D staff (including those in NYO and IO as well as regional and telecommuting staff). Develop and maintain strong relationships with other College Board staff, particularly those in program/project management, Research, and relevant Program area(s).
With close supervision, contribute to strong relationships with vendors, partners, and independent contractors. Maintain regular contact with experts in ELA/literacy, assessment, and related fields to keep up with the most recent theories and research.
Assessment Specialist: Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent education and experience in English, English education, writing, journalism, or closely related field required. Master’s degree preferred. Experience with and knowledge of disciplinary literacy theory and practice, including work with informational graphics, in history/social studies and/or science highly preferred. Teaching experience at the middle school/junior high school, high school, or post-secondary level preferred. In-depth exposure to state and national curriculum standards preferred.
Senior Assessment Specialist: Master’s degree or the equivalent education and experience in English, English education, writing, journalism, or closely related field required. Four to six years of experience in standardized, large-scale K-12 or K-16 assessment with a nationally recognized testing organization or publisher or a state testing program highly preferred. Experience with and knowledge of disciplinary literacy theory and practice, including work with informational graphics, in history/social studies and/or science highly preferred. Teaching experience at the middle school/junior high school, high school, or post-secondary level preferred. In-depth exposure to state and national curriculum standards preferred.
More about you
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Solid organizational, time, and task management skills
- Ability to effectively handle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office applications
- Availability for national travel
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.