Senior Technical Support Engineer
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Technical Support Engineer for our Operations department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The Technical Operations Group is primarily responsible for the smooth operation of College Board systems and the data exchanges between internal systems and with our vendor partners.
The primary role of the TechOps Senior Technical Support Engineer is to investigate and diagnose issues with College Board data, processes, and systems. This includes researching problems, identifying root causes, developing, documenting, and executing workarounds or contingency plans. The TechOps Senior Technical Support Engineer should develop solutions or processes to optimize the flow of data between numerous systems. While performing these duties, the Senior Technical Support Engineer will frequently interact with Business and IT professionals within The College Board, as well as external vendors. The Senior Technical Support Engineer should be willing and capable of interacting with the team by assisting and providing support for junior staff to solve complex problems with simple solutions.
What you’ll do
- Serve as a data-driven, subject matter expert in all things data, and use that expertise to support multiple customers and team members.
- Communicate and understand business goals and requirements and provide support and feedback to others to add business value.
- Analyze and understand College Board systems and applications to diagnose and resolve problems that occur.
- Interact with Business users, IT staff, and vendor partners to support and troubleshoot College Board system and data movement between numerous systems.
- Support development and improvement efforts related to vendor data flows and operational data quality.
- Work with the business process owners, vendors, and IT staff to ensure that data requirements are well understood, documented, and streamlined.
- Develop, enhance, and maintain both process, procedure, and issue documentation.
- Facilitate system restoration efforts for all critical incidents that may require off-hours support.
- Manage incident communications across a diverse audience up to and including senior leadership.
- Document, maintain, and communicate information specific to incident management initiatives including: Incident Management processes, standard operating procedures, service level agreements, incident response matrixes, and incident review sessions.
- Maintain open communications with business process owners keeping them aware of operational situations or events.
- Perform proactive problem management and incident trending to eliminate, reduce, or predict future occurrences.
- Participate in the development of tools or solutions to support operational processes.
- Continually satisfy customers by providing early and continuous delivery of data and solutions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, operations, or related technical field (or equivalent experience).
- 5-7 years of experience in operations support or systems design/development roles.
- Experience troubleshooting enterprise software or technical services in an always-up, 24x7 Production environment.
- Advanced relational database (SQL) knowledge is necessary including the ability to read and write statements, a thorough understanding of relational database concepts, and best practices.
- Strong computer skills with focus on databases and proficiency with scripting (e.g. Python) or other automation skills and technologies.
- Familiarity with Windows, Unix, and/or Linux.
- Experience with AWS technologies (e.g. DynamoDB, CloudWatch, EC2, RDS).
- Experience using Agile methodologies and end-to-end project lifecycle management.
- Understanding and familiarity about and/or using Microservices.
More about you
- Strong analytical thinking, structured problem-solving skills, and knowledge of analytical tools.
- Solid organizational, time, and task management skills.
- Ability to work closely with highly technical database, development, data analytic, and other cross-functional teams with a high degree of comfort communicating using IT artifacts and terminology (e.g. E-R diagrams, data dictionaries, interface specifications, and use cases, etc.).
- Ability to effectively communicate complex issues in writing and verbally at appropriate level of detail for business stakeholders and IT teams.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
If you are interested in joining the College Board and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to view or current opportunities at https://www.collegeboard.org/about/careers/job-listings.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.