Director, Media Relations & External Communications
Have you worked with media outlets to place news stories? If so, this may be the role for you!
The College Board, a national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Director, Media Relations & External Communications, in our Communications - Global Policy and External Relations department (GPER).
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization, and powerful force in the lives of American students. To fulfill our purpose of clearing a path for students to own their future, we offer access, opportunity, and excellence to millions of students each year. Over the past five years, the College Board has been undergoing a transformation. We’ve redesigned the SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, and many AP courses and exams, and we’ve introduced the PSAT 10, PSAT 8/9, and Official SAT Practice on Khan Academy, all with great success.
What you’ll do
The College Board has a strong, compelling story to tell: We are clearing a path for students to own their own future. By connecting students to free, personalized SAT practice; college application fee waivers; AP credit; and scholarships we are deliver opportunity to millions.
As a member of a fast-paced and talented Communications team, this individual will play a key role in sharing that story through the media and other strategic channels. This individual will develop and execute a multi-faceted earned media strategy – at the national, state, and local levels – that highlights the benefits and positive impact of our programs and services, including the redesigned SAT Suite of Assessments, the Advanced Placement Program, and college and career access.
She/he will secure sustained and positive media coverage, coordinate timely responses to incoming inquiries, and lead rapid response during critical moments. This individual also will lead communications campaigns in key states.
She/he will work to broaden understanding of the College Board’s work, build and protecting its reputation as a vibrant mission-driven not-for-profit, and deepen public support for the organization’s initiatives. This position reports to the Executive Director, Media Relations and External Communications.
More of what you’ll do
- Develops and executes a robust, multi-faceted national and local media strategy, including through an editorial calendar that identifies inflection points and proactive outreach opportunities such as College Board announcements, data and research reports, and the education lifecycle.
- Cultivates relationships with journalists at media outlets that reach a variety of different key audiences – including students, parents, educators, and policymakers.
- Manages media inquiries, including from top tier outlets, and serves as an on-the-record spokesperson when appropriate.
- Leads planning for media events and campaigns, and develops associated material (including media advisories, press releases, and talking points) in a timely and organized manner.
- Prepares and staffs spokespersons, including executive leadership and senior staff, for interviews and media opportunities, and provides strategic advice on communications issues.
- Supports crisis communications and rapid response efforts, including by bringing together internal stakeholders, developing content and materials, and responding to media inquiries.
- Works closely with the social media team to amplify messaging.
- Provides strategic communications support for the College Board’s state-based policy work.
- Responsible for analyzing and communicating with senior leadership about media trends that impact the organization.
- Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or related field is required.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible work experience in public relations, journalism or a related field required.
- Background should include direct support of a prominent principal (client/elected official/candidate), including staffing for media events and interviews.
- Extensive experience working with members of national media outlets a must. International experience a plus.
- Experience developing and executing strategic communications plans for national, state, and/or local communications campaigns where distilling complex issues into understandable messages is a key requirement.
More about you
- Must have previous experience as an on-the-record spokesperson
- Proficient writer, with experience writing on deadline and for myriad channels/platforms
- Ability to translate complex issues into easily consumable messages for a wide variety of audiences
- Proven record of developing and maintaining relationships with contacts at media outlets
- Experience booking broadcast interviews a plus
- Able to juggle multiple demands, manage shifting priorities and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated professional tact and ability to build relationships with internal stakeholders
- Ability to provide strategic counsel to internal stakeholders, including senior leadership
- Experience managing crisis communications situations
- Proven ability to navigate complex organizational culture
- Familiarity with education landscape (K-12 and/or Higher Ed)
- Professional experience in a K-12 or Higher Ed setting a plus
- Positive, good-natured and flexible attitude
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
If you are interested in joining the College Board and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to view or current opportunities at https://www.collegeboard.org/about/careers/job-listings.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.