This is a quantitative research position.
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for an Educational Researcher for our Puerto Rico and Latin American Operations department. This position is based in our Puerto Rico and Latin America office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
Based in our Puerto Rico Office, the Educational Researcher will lead the design and implementation of research studies to support the use of College Board Puerto Rico and Latin America (PRLA) Office assessments in Higher Education and K-12 institutions and advance our understanding of college access and success. This individual will have a high level of expertise in research methodology, statistical analysis, and psychometrics in order to lead high-quality studies, mentor junior staff in Research, and translate complex concepts into clear language for the organization and public more broadly. Strong skills are required in research design, quantitative analysis including, multilevel modeling, experimental, and quasi-experimental methodologies, and test validity research foundations and methods.
What you will do:
The Research Scientist will provide research support to College Board-PRLA programs, including the production of research reports using appropriate research methodologies and sound implementation practices. S/he will manage research efforts (e.g., predictive validity studies, institution-specific validity studies, longitudinal or cross-sectional analyses of assessment data, survey-based research, job-analysis, need assessments for test development initiatives, etc.) or projects to ensure the quality and accuracy of results; & collaborate with higher education institutions to conduct institution studies and consult on related studies as needed. S/he will prepare memos, presentations, and research reports that communicate complex concepts, processes, and findings into clear and actionable language for the organization and the public more broadly. In a cross-functional fashion, provide in-house research consultation for test development, market development, user-engagement, reporting processes and practices, including developing and implementing action plans to support a high quality and efficient operation with sound research practices; and support state level contracts or institutional agreements with LATAM stakeholders
What you will do:
- Lead the definition of research projects of decisive importance.
- Lead the identification of project hypotheses and / or research questions to be answered.
- Design, conduct, and/or manage research projects to support College Board-PRLA programs and/or to support state initiatives or institutional agreements with LATAM stakeholders.
- Determine the methodology for the analyses and either conducts the analyses or directs colleagues on the team to conduct the analyses and QC.
- Direct the development of the requisite datasets or assigns the direction of acquisition of external data to a colleague on the project.
- Produce as an author and a contributor to publications including: peer-reviewed journal articles, College Board Research Reports, College Board Statistical Reports, College Board Technical Memos/Reports, and other internal documents.
- Prepare memos, presentations, and research reports for both internal and external audiences to explain research results.
- Lead and direct research findings response(s) to: College Board-PRLA Communications, College Board-PRLA Leadership team, external inquiries from researchers, College Board-PRLA Programs – e.g., PAA, PIENSE, etc.
- Provide internal and external presentations translating complex concepts into clear language for the organization and public more broadly
- Collaborate with higher education institutions to conduct institution-specific validity studies and consult on related studies as needed.
- Write and/or review technical manuals for assessments and research reports involving psychometric analyses, validity evidence, and reliability information.
- Work collaboratively with program directors and content specialist to sustain current programs and provide research support for new initiatives.
- Pro-actively work toward the improvement of current processes (e.g. improve research methodologies and assessment practices, shorter cycle time, reduced costs, higher customer satisfaction and quality control).
- Provide psychometric and research consultation to College Board-PRLA’s programs to inform assessment operations and practices.
- Mentor junior staff members and make significant contributions to team goals associated with developing and realizing the College Board-PRLA’s Research Agenda
- Represent the College Board on assessment, psychometrics, and research issues with vendors and other internal and external constituents.
- Respond to internal and external inquiries for data and data interpretation.
- Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned or required.
- An ideal candidate will have a doctorate in educational research, educational measurement, educational psychology or a related field with 7 or more years of experience conducting educational research.
- Strong quantitative skills are required for this job.
- The candidate needs to possess strong skills in psychometrics, measurement, research design and methodology, statistical analysis and use of statistical software including SAS, SPSS, R.
- The individual should have previous experience (as evidenced by publications and applied experience) in designing and implementing large-scale research studies, as well as institutional and/or national validity research studies.
- Also, the individual will design and conduct experimental and quasi-experimental research studies, and develop various data-collection requirements and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues of various professional backgrounds.
More about you:
- Knowledge and adherence to the principles and standards for educational and psychological testing and other applicable professional standards and practices.
- Proven ability to analyze and propose solutions to research problems, and communicate those solutions effectively.
- Be well read and interested in continuing to read the literature, both journals and books, to keep up to date with current developments in the field.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including technical presentation, public speaking, interpersonal, and writing and editing skills.
- Strong knowledge of psychometrics
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to establish a collaborative environment of research rigor and quality
- Excellent time management, organization and consultation skills.
- Strict attention to detail and extreme accuracy.
- Actively serve as a coach and mentor ensuring appropriate training for office staff regarding psychometric and research considerations in testing and best practices.
- Bilingual proficiency - Spanish & English.
This position reports to the Senior Director of Research and Measurement.
This position will be subject to a background check.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.