Senior Information Analyst
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Information Analyst for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The Reporting group within Data Services of the College Board seeks a Senior Information Analyst with strong analytical and technical skills to support the organization’s efforts in the areas of data management and services in the transformation of legacy systems to Cloud services.
The Senior Information Analyst must work with Reporting team to communicate and engage with the business units to develop a strong understanding of their reporting, data and product needs. From this understanding, the Analyst will work with the business and the technology teams to help define requirements for a project, identify data dependencies and/or relationships to develop logical and physical data models, create data flow and system activity diagrams, and write specifications for managing enterprise information. Specifications may include business rules, source to target mappings, supplemental specifications, BI reporting specifications, and/or use cases. The Analyst must also be able to work with architects, engineers and DBAs to ensure that the business and technical requirements are being met throughout the development process.
The Senior Information Analyst will be given very complex data-related problems and must solve them using a variety of technical and analytical skills and be able to document and standardize the processes for solving those problems. A successful candidate will be able to generate efficiencies and mitigate risk through sound technical analysis and will generate value for the business by providing solutions to their business problems.
The candidate will be knowledgeable in the Agile methodology and will interact closely with the Agile team and other stakeholders to shape, identify, prioritize, and realize project requirements in the delivery of business solutions.
What you’ll do:
- Communicate with and understand business goals and requirements, and work to create data solutions that add value to the business.
- Demonstrate a strong attention to detail, high degree of initiative, and excellent documentation and communication skills.
- Support product managers to ensure that all aspects of the information analysis and requirements gathering process are completed with the highest degree of accuracy and quality, including the development and socialization of key project artifacts.
- Develop and participate in the review of requirements, data mappings, use cases and other artifacts and clearly communicate to both the business and technical team members the system requirements. Demonstrate the ability to define, analyze and translate functional and non-functional business requirements into activity diagrams source to target mappings, system use cases and supplemental specifications.
- Demonstrate an understanding of database modeling and technical design, database builds, and stored procedures.
- Demonstrate the ability to access data (SQL), analyze data, and be able to create the logical data model for incoming data. Expertise in understanding and writing SQL scripts.
- Support ad hoc data requests as required as part of DevOps team.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or related field.
- Possesses at least 5-7 years or more of relevant work experience.
- Very strong SQL coding skills. Expertise in understand and writing SQL.
- Working knowledge of DBMS client software (MS SQL, Oracle (Toad), MySQL) is required.
- Experience with procedural SQL languages such as T-SQL or PL/SQL.
- Strong knowledge of relational database systems, data structures and data modeling concepts.
- Knowledge/working experience with XML and JSON.
- Ability to understand business needs and translate them into technical specifications.
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated experience providing information, reports and analyses from unstructured and vague business questions and problems.
- Experience in data management, data quality, and data automation.
- Experience in project documentation and the design of process and data flow diagrams. Understanding of business process modeling, data provisioning modeling, entity relationship modeling and dimensional modeling.
- Hands-on experience with AWS services (preferred).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, willing to communicate with business users to clarify requirements.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Access, Visio and Outlook) is required.
- Ability to deliver quality products in a fast-paced team-oriented unit.
- Knowledge of System Development Life Cycle.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize projects and information.
- Experience working on an Agile team.
- Knowledge of Jira and Wiki.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.