Senior Project Manager - Digital
Senior Project Manager - Digital
The College Board is conducting a search for a Senior Project Manager - Digital for the Assessment Design and Development (AD&D) team. This position reports to the Executive Director, AD&D Planning & Implementation of Assessment Design and Development. This position will be based out of our Iowa City, Chicago, ILL New York or Reston, VA office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization, and powerful force in the lives of American students. To fulfill our purpose of clearing a path for students to own their future, we offer access, opportunity, and excellence to millions of students each year. Over the past five years, the College Board has been undergoing a transformation. We’ve redesigned the SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, and many AP courses and exams, and we’ve introduced the PSAT 10, PSAT 8/9, and Official SAT Practice on Khan Academy, all with great success.
The Senior Project Manager will be responsible for contributing and supporting AD&D’s efforts to build a center of excellence with a focus on project delivery and execution. This will involve championing best practices, ensuring that AD&D-specific lessons learned are consistently applied to drive continuous improvement, and developing new tools and methodologies as necessary.
The Senior Project Manager will be responsible for driving, contributing and supporting business envisioning during the Pre-concept, Concept and Alignment phases of the project lifecycle of select AD&D project(s) and/or operational work. In this capacity the Senior Project Manager will be accountable to project/product owners and responsible for directing activities that result in a business concept/vision that meets Executive Sponsor’s strategic goals. The types of projects and/or operational work span all functions of AD&D and will vary in type, including (but not limited to) strategic planning, product enhancement opportunities, capability development, process development, complex cross-divisional initiatives, and major business transformation /operational improvements. These responsibilities include managing, planning, scheduling, communicating, facilitating, monitoring, controlling, and reporting project related tasks to ensure timely implementation of key AD&D initiatives.
What you’ll do
The Senior Project Manager will be expected to create and maintain detailed project plans and associated project deliverables. In addition, in many cases, the Senior Project Manager will be required to develop the project approach. The Senior Project Manager will be responsible for tracking the status of identified risks, issues, action items, and decisions and ensuring that they are mitigated and resolved effectively. Projects within AD&D will involve management and coordination across a matrix of functional teams, making regular communications on project progress and status critical. The primary measure of success in this position will be the delivery of projects on time, within budget, with high quality results.
The Senior Project Manager will be responsible for creating, developing and maintaining internal project management capabilities focused on improving project efficiency and increasing project oversight (including being a key contributor to AD&D metrics), budgeting and project estimation. The Senior Project Manager will lead, mentor and advise the broader AD&D team to ensure all project goals are aligned to the organization’s mission-driven objectives.
Other functions include:
- Lead cross-functional project teams, managing work assignments, and providing direction as needed
- Define and refine project scope and work approach
- Ensure that projects have clear goals, objectives and timelines, with measurable milestones consistent with organizational strategy and goals
- Ensure projects are delivered on-time/on budget and exceeding stakeholders' expectations
- Provide project estimation and planning, including scheduling, resource requirements, and budgeting
- Communicate formally and informally to stakeholders at all levels, including senior management
- Work with business stakeholders to develop/refine the business case, and where appropriate, the business vision/concept
- Perform overall project risk and issue management, with detailed tracking and mitigation planning
- Manage project communications including formal and informal status within and outside the project team
- Mentor, coach, and provide feedback to other project managers and project teams throughout the project lifecycle, including contribution to performance reviews of project team members as appropriate
- Ensure that deliverables adhere to and utilize best practices
- Support annual AD&D planning efforts as needed as well as process improvements
- Provide thought leadership to further develop and maintain AD&D project management templates, examples, and processes
- Act as a change agent for acceptance of new organizational processes
- Manage work culture to ensure the mission and operating principles of the College Board are consistently recognized and utilized to promote a productive and fair work environment
- Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to professional growth in program/project management and other key areas
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Formal project management credentials are desired: e.g. PMP certification or formal project management training program
- Minimum seven years project/program management experience with at least five years’ experience directly leading projects
- Proven experience in both leadership and analytical project/program management roles
- Demonstrated track record of success managing cross-functional projects
- Excellent communications skills - must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing including direct, concise executive communications skills
- Experience with business and operation transformation projects. Should have worked in a business operations context and be familiar with organizational planning, policy, business problems and analysis, business process / workflow design and software development
- Experience managing projects with vendors outside the organization performing critical project work
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Proficient in Scheduling Software, e.g. Microsoft Project/Smartsheet
- Proven experience managing and executing organizational change
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Experience working on assessment development projects will be highly valued
- Superior communication, interpersonal skills and formidable work ethic absolutely required; ability to effectively communicate and coordinate with team members who are located in several different geographic locations
- Ability to build relationships with diverse teams
- Strong leadership skills as well as detailed analytical thinking and structured problem solving
- Bias toward action; proven ability to work in a deadline driven, fast-paced environment with a high degree of visibility on high priority projects
- Solid best practice project management knowledge and experience--practices described in terms of their PMMM process groups (initiating, planning, executing, controlling and closing) and nine knowledge areas (project integration management, project scope management, project time management, project cost management, project quality management, project human resource management, project communications management, project risk management, and project procurement management)
- Ability to rapidly framework and dissect issues and challenges
- Proven ability to document. Attention to detail essential.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
If you are interested in joining the College Board in this position and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to apply by submitting your resume and a brief, introductory cover letter through our Careers page at www.collegeboard.org/careers
The College Board is dedicated to the principle of equal opportunity, and its programs, services, and employment policies are guided by that principle.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.