Associate Director, Strategy
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for an Associate Director, Strategy. This position is based in our New York City headquarters.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This role requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
About the role
The Associate Director, Strategy works closely with the Senior Vice President, Finance and Global Strategy in two critical ways. First, the individual manages strategic planning processes for the entire organization, helping leadership set ambitious goals and tracking progress toward meeting those goals. Second, the Associate Director guides one or more specific strategic initiatives for the Strategy team, completing detailed analysis aimed at advancing the College Board’s mission in a new or cross-functional way. The individual will also play a small role in coordinating projects across the Senior Vice President’s direct reports. The work requires both management and analytical ability, judgment, curiosity, intellectual power, relationship skills, and discretion.
The College Board is a mission-focused organization. The job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
What you’ll do
- Manage the development of the College Board’s divisional and enterprise goals and associated metrics. Drive a cross-divisional effort to develop organizational goals, working directly with CEO, COO, Chief of Staff, and other senior leaders to execute key deliverables for leadership and Board approval.
- Serve as primary liaison to teams across the organization to run a smooth, well-designed process that produces a set of measurable annual goals, and strategically coordinates work between divisions.
- Project manage a diverse set of contacts to deadlines, and manages processes that allow teams to coordinate and leadership to provide input at key points in the process.
- Work closely with VP, Strategic Finance to ensure that goals are properly resourced and that goals and budgeting processes are closely aligned.
- Develop and manage tools to produce regular updates on goals attainment and to bring to management attention to challenges that require action.
- In 2019, project manage the development of the College Board’s 5-year Strategic Plan in close coordination alongside the annual goals process.
- Guide one or more strategy projects annually, helping to define problems, identify solutions, consult internally and externally regarding those solutions, and present findings to executive leadership.
- Recent topics for strategic development have included expanding access to scholarships, improving fee waiver processes, and considering issues related to student privacy.
- Work may include landscape reviews, analysis of large data sets, and work with operating teams on process improvements.
- Sometimes coordinate work across the Senior Vice President’s direct reports.
- A Bachelor’s degree required plus a minimum of 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience in education, nonprofits, policy, management consulting, or finance.
- Experience designing, implementing, and managing complex processes that engage multiple teams and organizational leadership.
- Experience analyzing complex problems with a strategic lens, using both quantitative and qualitative data, and generating novel approaches to difficulty challenges
- Experience writing and editing for diverse audiences is critical, with an emphasis on producing flawless products for executive audiences.
More about you
- Executive maturity, discretion, judgment, and confidentiality.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a collaborative nature, and an ability to build trusting relationships across level and function.
- An ability to think creatively about fresh approaches to challenges.
- An analytic mindset, including ability to identify and obtain needed data, and set up analytical frameworks to evaluate options, using Excel and other tools.
- Highly organized and detailed approach to work.
- Skilled at prioritizing work based on analyses, maintaining focus on priorities and re-prioritizing when appropriate.
- Strong commitment to educational equity.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.