Sr. User Experience Designer
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior User Experience Designer -Digital SAT. This position is based in our New York City headquarters.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies in 2015, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. In this role you will work across a variety of digital educational products to form user-friendly interfaces for our audiences, students and education professionals.
About the Digital SAT
The College Board is transitioning the SAT Suite of Assessments from traditional pen-and-pencil to a computer-based digital administration. This is one of the most significant changes at the College Board. The Sr.User Experience Designer for SAT Digital is responsible for ensuring an optimal user experience for students, test center staff, and educators. This role is highly independent and will require a strong leadership in ensuring that the project will meet the needs of a diverse set of users, while recognizing and working within technical and budgets.
In addition to the responsibilities above, for this particular project the Sr. User Experience Designer is responsible for:
- Understanding a very complex, multi-year project across multiple systems, and crafting coherent and seamless user experiences. This is beyond simply UI design and includes both the digital and physical aspects of the experience.
- Represent the “voice of the customer” in planning and prioritization discussion on the project strongly advocating for user needs.
- With support from research practice leads, conducting user research individually, as well as coordinating and leading others in site observations. Synthesizing the results of research into actionable insights and informing UX designs.
- Documenting user needs and journeys, highlighting pain points and friction and designing solutions to optimize the experience.
- Collaborating with other UX designers on existing applications, to ensure that both paper-and-pencil and digital assessment experiences are usable and coherent.
- Designing user interface elements of digital aspects of the experience -- including both CB and vendor-based systems. Ensuring that vendor-based systems adhere to brand standards and are integrated into the broader experience. Providing the best possible designs, within a sometimes highly constrained development environment.
As a Sr. User Experience Designer, you are a maker, and a doer. You have a mastery of interaction design, and a strong understanding of information architecture, as you will oversee the architectural integrity and look and feel of the applications and web properties that you work on. You also are familiar and practiced with user research methods: you maintain an organized, data-informed sense of your end user through discovery and design. You are able to react effectively to findings from research in order to enhance usability and overall product quality. You are entrepreneurial. You can work independently, self-manage, and find ways and means to support our goals. You are adaptable. You are service-oriented, but you are an advocate. Your ability to persuade stakeholders to act in favor of brand-aligned, user-centric design, and to demonstrate the impact of these decisions, will be highly valued.
What you’ll do
- Design of information architecture, wireframes and compelling user interfaces
- Generation of comprehensive, consistent and usable UI solutions to help users meet their needs
- Development of interaction prototypes, specifications and other design documents to communicate design ideas to project teams
- Analysis of business and technical requirements
- Creation of user personas and other methodologies for defining target audience, and user needs
- Creation of user journeys and flows to capture current and future states of user pathways
- Forming and maintaining solid relationships with project team members and stakeholders
- Lead user testing and stakeholder reviews to validate the efficacy of these solutions
- Translate research findings into tangible designs
- Coordinate with project management and design team to ensure timely delivery of design artifacts
- Help foster and contribute to our design process and quality standards with proven design approaches based on objective, data-driven evidence
- Standards and are integrated into the broader experience. Providing the best possible designs, within a sometimes highly constrained development environment.
- A portfolio of your work included in your application.
- BA in a related field (computer science, interaction design, HCI, industrial design, information science, social sciences, graphic design, etc.) and/or equivalent years of successful work experience
- 5+ years of professional experience as an Information Architect, User Experience, or Interaction Designer
- Experience in designing for large operational applications, mobile apps, and immersive, content rich websites
- Fluency in industry standard design and prototyping tools
- Broad knowledge of digital interaction design patterns, Web site architecture, user interfaces and navigation on various platforms (Web, mobile, tablet)
- A solid understanding of web and mobile design principles and best use of current web and mobile technologies and scalable dynamic user interfaces
- Familiarity working with front-end coding technologies and data modeling is a big plus
More about you
- You are highly adaptable to new information, situations, or challenges and can work independently.
- You like facing new challenges and thrive on opportunities to think creatively and come up with fresh approaches to tough business and operational problems.
- You have a solution-oriented approach to design: the ability to take into account both quality standards—a striving for excellence, as well as the real-world constraints of a project
- You are Familiar with user-centered research, such as usability testing, contextual inquiry, and field interviews
- You have a strong interest in and aptitude for learning new technologies and design skills
- You have a clear ability to forego personal biases, and to delegate responsibilities to the most qualified partners in order to arrive at the ‘best’ solution possible
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
If you are interested in joining the College Board in this position and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to apply by submitting your resume and a brief, introductory cover letter through our Careers page at www.collegeboard.org/careers
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.