The Associate Director, Access Learning Lab, Innovation and Engagement
The College Board, a national educational organization with global reach, is conducting a search for an Associate Director, Access Learning Lab, Innovation and Engagement. The College Board’s Access to Opportunity™ (A2O™) program is designed to identify and break down barriers that prevent students — particularly low-income students, first-generation college students, rural students, and students of color — from applying to and enrolling in colleges that are their best academic, social, and financial fit.
Over the past 4 years, the program has implemented and tested a number of research-based interventions, including direct mail packets including starter college lists, texting “nudge” programs, and connecting students directly with virtual college planning support.
The Access Learning Lab is a new team that formalizes this testing process and runs rapid learning cycles to test new ideas for driving student activity and outcomes, and transitions findings to business owners for scaling and implementation. The Associate Director, Access Learning Lab, Innovation and Engagement will be a key member of this team, deeply collaborating with internal and external experts to identify, select, and test promising ideas for scaling at the College Board or with partners.
About your role:
The Access Learning Lab is seeking an Associate Director for Innovation and Engagement, who will work with internal and external experts on the development and execution of concept tests for innovative solutions, test methods for getting students to sign up and stay engaged and evaluate the impact on student access outcomes.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with Learning Lab colleagues to identify and execute creative solutions in support of increasing student recruitment/engagement, leveraging existing channels and capabilities (e.g. texting)
- Evaluate current Learning Lab student engagement channels (including direct mail, texting and email), and recommend ongoing tools and portfolio.
- Collaborate with Learning Lab leadership to monitor, manage and learn from all student engagement efforts and to continuous refine and improve student engagement and signups for Learning Lab offerings.
- Recommend and evaluate channels and processes that can be used to drive persistent engagement of targeted populations.
- Collaborate with Learning Lab and Access to Opportunity colleagues to identify and manage a portfolio of innovative concept tests that will inform the roadmap for the Access to Opportunity program.
- Manage and execute rapid concept tests of promising solutions, compile findings and propose solutions to Learning Lab and A2O leadership for scaling.
- Keep up with market trends, new technology, innovations within education, and other direct-to-student interventions to recommend for exploration by the Access Learning Lab.
More about what you’ll do
Independent project management:
- Work independently and with the Senior Director, Access Learning Lab to articulate proposed concepts, plan and execute concept tests, and ensure evaluation and knowledge sharing of all findings.
- Work with the Senior Director, Access Learning Lab to execute the cross-functional learning cycle; ensure that concepts are tested according to Learning Lab processes and that the intended outcomes of the work are realized.
- Ensures all work under management is well-defined and planned. This includes thorough scope definition, estimation, cost-budgeting, resourcing, scheduling, and identification of critical- and near-critical path work streams.
- Strives for objective decision making and wherever possible finds or produces data to support recommendations.
Contribute to high-performing teamwork across the College Board:
- Actively share findings with internal and external stakeholders to highlight learnings that provide benefit across the College Board.
- Work well with colleagues and encourage and support the rest of the Learning Lab team.
- Excel at stakeholder management with strong listening, speaking, writing and negotiating skills.
- Establish strong relationships and partnerships with other CB groups working with institutional stakeholders, including Information Technology (IT), Counselor Community Engagement, Consumer Marketing, Strategic Communications, and State and District Partnerships.
- A Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, is required.
- Business, engineering or management consulting background is desired.
- A minimum of 5-7 full-time years of working on cross-functional teams and demonstrated success in establishing effective working relationships.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in working with communicationschannels such as text, email, and/or direct mail is required.
- Experience working with text messaging programs and/or high school students is preferred.
More About You
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment
- Enthusiasm to learn new processes, approaches,and technologies
- Interest in researching and developing recommendations for new solutions to achieve student engagement and access goals
- Ability to identify and analyze relevant data and form data-driven recommendations to guide action
- Demonstrated history of self-learning and continuous professional development
- General understanding of the College Board and its programs and services
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, including attention to detail and the ability to effectively handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including being a generous and respectful colleague
- Ability to interact with staff at all levels
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.