Senior Network Engineer
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Network Engineer for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The Senior Network Engineer is an essential member of the engineering team. Work is characterized by small, quick changes with focused value for the end customer. Changes are well communicated and collaborated, thus helping achieve the desired outcomes of releasing improvements frequently, and more reliably. The successful candidate will be a highly communicative team player, with experience in WiFi, voice and AWS technologies, and comfortable with both traditional and cloud infrastructure. The Senior Network Engineer must have experience in script development, DevOps practices, and authoring supporting documentation for release. Day-to-day activities will vary as the team works to support College Board’s portfolio of applications and infrastructure while developing and implementing solutions for migration to the AWS Cloud.
What you’ll do
- Comprehensive knowledge of their discipline and specialized depth and/or breadth of expertise; routers, switches, load balancers and monitoring tools
- Develops innovative solutions and encourages the application of new ideas
- Leads the planning and execution on a variety of projects
- Exercises considerable professional autonomy, provides expertise across multiple functions and is accountable for their performance
- Mentors junior staff
- Integrates information from multiple sources to develop new insights into challenges
- Encourages efforts to re-engineer work processes and eliminate non-essential or redundant activities using improvement experiments; proposes and helps team evaluate results and help propagate changes using modern engineering design methods
- Approaches tasks systematically, but, is able to adjust plans to meet changing requirements from stakeholders
- Demonstrates sound technical and business judgement
- Plans and clearly communicates objectives and expected outcomes and assigns responsibility for specific components
- Balances near-term demands with long-term goals and vision; understands business goals and can balance business goals with engineering practices
- Participates in recruiting and interviewing
- Uses ability to balance multiple concurrent initiatives to achieve a high degree of quality and timeliness
- Uses metrics to establish feasibility of new initiatives and develop plans, including budget, sequencing and time frames
- Communicates clear milestones and deliverables; ensures all team members understand their contributions toward the desired outcome
- Uses quality management to ensure quality levels are maintained
- Analyzes the impact of quality control and quality assurance on project performance
- Uses reviews and observations as feedback for continuous improvement
- Participate in on-call escalations to troubleshoot critical issues
- Internal Contacts: Maintain regular contacts with departmental staff and capability teams for the purpose of coordinating activities, scheduling, and collaborating to produce work. Maintain involvement with group across IT/Ops, business units, and other customers.
- External Contacts: Maintain contacts with vendors and business-related outside parties
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Minimum of 7 years of network engineering experience in relevant technical positions
- OSI stack; especially Layer 1 physical layer technologies, Layer 2 technologies (including Switched VLANs, spanning tree, and WLANs) and Layer 3 technologies (including OSPF and BGP)
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the design and implementation of network technologies in the Cloud (AWS, Azure)
- Minimum of 3 years' experience with Network Automation and SD-WAN technologies.
- Experience in the networking implementation and management supporting:
More about you
- Familiarity with:
- Juniper, Cisco, F5, Aruba Vendor platforms
- Network security concepts, including multi-layered approach to security, VLANs, perimeter protection, and access control
- Working with vendors to provision network circuits (T1, DS3, CIP, etc.)
- DevOps process and Agile/Scrum Methodology
- Orchestration/Configuration Management and Continuous Integration technology (e.g. Chef, Puppet, Ansible etc.)
- Version control platforms (e.g. Git or Bit Bucket)
- Atlassian tools: JIRA, and Confluence
- Software Development Life Cycle, Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Professional communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge of Cloud Computing concepts and AWS services
- AWS Certification: DevOps, SysOps, or Cloud Architect a plus
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.