Principal DevOps Engineer
Principal DevOps Engineer
The College Board, a national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Principal DevOps Engineer in our Information Technology organization, in our Reston, VA office.
The College Board – a not-for-profit membership organization dedicated to providing excellence and equity in education. Working within the Information Technology division and key business units, the Principal DevOps Engineer will design, build, implement, and test automation software systems with a goal to providing rock-solid process automation tools using Ruby, Rails, Docker, and AWS managed services.
The ideal candidate will have designed, developed and implemented solutions that support business functionality as well as the underlying infrastructure required to run and deploy those solutions. The candidate must possess the technical skills and experiences with Amazon Web Services and continuous delivery systems. The ideal candidate will also have experience supporting teams as they implement the solutions that you build. We operate using Scrum and Kanban at The College Board, so experience using Agile methodologies to deliver software is important. The ideal candidate will have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Wide array of experience at all tiers of traditional deployment architectures (UI/Services/Data).
- Write clean, concise Ruby code, infrastructure as code, and test automation.
- Help teams design and build their CI/CD infrastructure and test automation.
- Mentor team members and internal customers on DevOps best practices
- Provide personalized support to the internal customers of the tools we build and maintain.
- Be an automation evangelist with our customers, development teams, and stakeholders.
Education/Years of Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or MIS.
- Over 10 years of experience in software systems, programming, and infrastructure development and administration
- Minimum 3 years demonstrated experience with full stack development with Rails.
Related Skills and Other Requirements:
- Expert Ruby developer who values simplicity and readability.
- Experience using React.js or similar
- Experience with the Atlassian Suite (Jira, Confluence, BitBucket), SonarQube, and AWS
- Experience with RESTful web services design, development and automated testing
- Familiarity with monitoring tool suites like NewRelic
- Experience using branching workflows in Git.
- Experience with automated testing tools (i.e. rspec, cucumber, or watir)
- Strong practical Linux based systems administration skills and scripting experience in a Cloud based environment using Docker.
- Working knowledge of node.js or Python3 a plus
- Working knowledge of IP networking, VPNs, DNS, load balancing and firewalling
- Experience building infrastructure as code using AWS CloudFormation or Terraform
- Experience with Chef, Puppet, or Ansible in production environment a plus
- Management of continuous integration systems like Jenkins or AWS Code*
- Ability to self-manage assigned tasks and projects
- Strong interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication
If you are interested in joining the College Board and you meet our qualifications, we ecourage you to APPLY by following the link below to send us your resume and a brief introductory cover letter that includes salary expectations.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.