DevOps Engineer II
DevOps Engineer is a technical resource operating within a team providing (Engineering solutions)while migrating on premise applications to the AWS Cloud. The successful candidate will be a highly communicative team player, with experience in AWS technologies, and comfortable with both traditional and cloud infrastructure. DevOps Engineer must have experience in code development, DevOps practices, and authoring supporting documentation for release. Day-to-day activities will vary as the team works to support College Board’s portfolio of applications and infrastructure while developing and implementing solutions for migration to the AWS Cloud.
The DevOps Engineer will leverage knowledge and experience in DevOps practices, automation, infrastructure orchestration, configuration management and continuous integration to assist College Board in implementing and leveraging a growing set of services and features to run mission-critical applications.
The DevOps Engineer will support the team by partnering with other teams on complex issues and initiatives, write tools to help the team, and work with leadership on process improvement and strategic initiatives.
The DevOps Engineer role requires customer focus, multi-tasking, and strong written & verbal communication skills to resolve a diverse range of technical issues.
- Solve engineering problems with enterprise applications and develop Cloud migration solutions
- Assist with technical AWS diagramming, configuration, scripting, testing, and integration activities as required for successful migration
- Document current state and create target state designs in support of migration
- Document environment logistics and settings for successful transition to the Operations Team
- Attend meetings and working sessions to further migration objectives
- Leverage listening, speaking, and writing skills to participate in conversations
- Troubleshoot and problem solve to remediate issues prohibiting migration or uncovered by migration
- Participate in on-call escalations to troubleshoot critical issues
Maintain regular contacts with departmental staff and capability teams for the purpose of coordinating activities, scheduling, and collaborating to produce work. Maintain involvement with group across IT/Ops, business units, and other customers.
Maintain contacts with vendors and business-related outside parties.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Minimum of 4 years of engineering experience in relevant technical positions
- Experience managing full application stacks from the OS up through custom applications
- Experience in the implementation and management of:
- Linux and/or Microsoft Windows Server and associated technologies (Active Directory, Exchange etc.)
- Web and Application Server technologies (e.g., Apache HTTP, Apache Tomcat, JBoss, WebLogic, IIS)
- Virtualization/Hypervisors (VMware, Xen)
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Familiarity with :
- DevOps process and Agile/Scrum Methodology
- Orchestration/Configuration Management and Continuous Integration technology (e.g. Chef, Puppet, Terraform, Ansible etc.)
- Version control platforms (e.g. Git or BitBucket)
- Networking protocols such as HTTP, DNS and TCP/IP
- Atlassian tools: JIRA, and Confluence
- Software Development Life Cycle, Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Professional communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge of Cloud Computing concepts and AWS services
- AWS Certification: DevOps, SysOps, or Cloud Architect a plus