Senior DevOps Engineer
Senior DevOps Engineer
The College Board, a national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior (Sr.) DevOps Engineer in our Information Technology organization, in our Reston, VA office.
The College Board – a not-for-profit membership organization dedicated to providing excellence and equity in education – manages a complex and comprehensive suite of data systems, data feeds and reports to support students and educators across multiple assessments, programs and services. Working within the Information Technology division and across the Operations and key business units, the Senior DevOps Engineer will analyze procedures, and design and implement solutions to attain high data quality and process automation.
The ideal candidate will have designed, developed and implemented solutions that support business functionality as well as the underlying infrastructure required to run and deploy those solutions. The candidate must possess the technical skills and experiences with Amazon Web Services and continuous delivery systems.
The Sr. DevOps Engineer must have excellent written and oral communication skills, and be adaptive to the changing needs of the department and the organization. The Sr. DevOps Engineer must have experience with building and maintaining highly effective relationships with team members and multiple stakeholders across multiple projects.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- DevOps Engineer will be required to support operational responsibilities as needed during standard business and off hours.
- Design, develop and implement automated solutions, based on a set of standards and processes which establish consistency across the enterprise, reduce risk, and promote efficiencies in support of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Responsible for the quality of their work; will develop and implement a set of quality criteria and the associated validation method to ensure that any deliverable meets the expected quality levels of our customers, use quality management standards/metrics to ensure quality levels are maintained, seek new approaches and techniques to improve quality levels and analyze the impact of quality control and quality assurance on project performance.
- Use metrics to establish feasibility of new initiatives and develop plans, including cost analysis, sequencing and time frames.
- Provide support (coaching and mentoring) for teammate's work activities on a regular basis
- Actively review their own and the team’s work product and implement improvements seen from other teams or within the industry to drive continuous improvement of the team’s efficiency, speed, and quality.
- Design a system that allows for monitoring and reporting.
- Develop full stack solutions and continuous delivery frameworks that improve the ability of the CB IT delivery teams to efficiently deliver solutions with quality and reduced time to market.
- Write complex code
- build infrastructure
- work with cloud-based environments,
- support multiple OS platforms),
- build the supporting automated toolsets necessary to support the continuous delivery pipeline.
- Develop a solution to integrate the life cycle from business initiation through operational integrity
- Integrate COTs products across the continuous delivery pipeline to provide a comprehensive automated system from epic definition, development, test and deploy of CB applications within our data center and Amazon.
- The candidate will plan for work but is primarily a hands-on engineer that leads by doing. The candidate will also take responsibility for creating design specifications, unit testing, and prepare technical documentation.
- Support the development of standards by creating templates for ease of use and increase system productivity
Foster, and have the skills to build a community of practice for collective learning of the tools and system across all disciplines
Education/Years of Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or MIS (or equivalent professional experience)
- 6–8years of experience in software systems, programming, and infrastructure development and administration
- Minimum 5 years demonstrated experience with full stack development.
Related Skills and Other Requirements:
- Strong, proven Experience as a DevOPS engineer in a scalable production environmentWorking experience with:
- Atlassian Suite of products
- industry build technologies (Jenkins,Maven, Gradle, Ant, Bamboo)
- Distributed Service Standards (SOAP, REST, API)
- Familiarity with monitoring tool suites like DataDog, SumoLogic, NewRelic, and Nagios
- industry version control system, revision code source code repositories in particular git and SVN, BitBucket
- Automated testing tools (i.e. selenium, JMeter) is a plus
- Software Security best practices and principles.
- Accessibility standards and best practices
- Orchestration automation tools (Chef, Puppet, Salt, or Ansible)
- Strong and evolving competence in:
- Java, SQL, noSQL, , Big Data and BI, runtime environments. J2EE, python frameworks and design patterns,
- Strong Scripting languages of at least 2:
- Strong, hands-on Linux/Windows/iOS systems administration skills Working knowledge of IP networking, VPNs, DNS, load balancing and firewalling Ability to work independently with minimal direction and self-manage assigned tasks and projects –
- Strong interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication
- Strong decision-making, problem-solving skills, critical thinking and testing skillsExceptional attention to detail
If you are interested in joining the College Board and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to APPLY by following the link below to send us your resume and a brief introductory cover letter that includes salary expectations.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.