Senior DevOps Engineer
The College Board, a national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior (Sr.) DevOps Engineer in our Information Technology organization, in our Reston, VA office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The ideal candidate will have designed, developed and implemented solutions that support business functionality as well as the underlying infrastructure required to run and deploy those solutions. The candidate must possess the technical skills and experiences with Amazon Web Services and continuous delivery systems.
The Sr. DevOps Engineer must have excellent written and oral communication skills, and be adaptive to the changing needs of the department and the organization. The Sr. DevOps Engineer must have experience with building and maintaining highly effective relationships with team members and multiple stakeholders across multiple projects.
What you’ll do
- DevOps Engineer will be required to support operational responsibilities as needed during standard business and off hours.
- Design, develop and implement automated solutions, based on a set of standards and processes which establish consistency across the enterprise, reduce risk, and promote efficiencies in support of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Responsible for the quality of their work; will develop and implement a set of quality criteria and the associated validation method to ensure that any deliverable meets the expected quality levels of our customers, use quality management standards/metrics to ensure quality levels are maintained, seek new approaches and techniques to improve quality levels and analyze the impact of quality control and quality assurance on project performance.
- Use metrics to establish feasibility of new initiatives and develop plans, including cost analysis, sequencing and time frames.
- Provide support (coaching and mentoring) for teammate's work activities on a regular basis
- Actively review their own and the team’s work product and implement improvements seen from other teams or within the industry to drive continuous improvement of the team’s efficiency, speed, and quality.
- Design a system that allows for monitoring and reporting.
- Develop full stack solutions and continuous delivery frameworks that improve the ability of the CB IT delivery teams to efficiently deliver solutions with quality and reduced time to market.
- Write complex code
- build infrastructure
- work with cloud-based environments,
- support multiple OS platforms),
- build the supporting automated toolsets necessary to support the continuous delivery pipeline.
- Develop a solution to integrate the life cycle from business initiation through operational integrity
- Integrate COTs products across the continuous delivery pipeline to provide a comprehensive automated system from epic definition, development, test and deploy of CB applications within our data center and Amazon.
- The candidate will plan for work but is primarily a hands-on engineer that leads by doing. The candidate will also take responsibility for creating design specifications, unit testing, and prepare technical documentation.
- Support the development of standards by creating templates for ease of use and increase system productivity.
- Foster, and have the skills to build a community of practice for collective learning of the tools and system across all disciplines.
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or MIS (or equivalent professional experience).
- 6–8years of experience in software systems, programming, and infrastructure development and administration.
- Minimum 5 years demonstrated experience with full stack development.
More about you
- Strong, proven Experience as a DevOPS engineer in a scalable production environmentWorking experience with:
- Atlassian Suite of products
- industry build technologies (Jenkins,Maven, Gradle, Ant, Bamboo)
- Distributed Service Standards (SOAP, REST, API)
- Familiarity with monitoring tool suites like DataDog, SumoLogic, NewRelic, and Nagios
- industry version control system in particular git and SVN, Bitbucket.
- Automated testing tools (i.e. selenium, JMeter) is a plus.
- Software Security best practices and principles.
- Accessibility standards and best practices.
- Orchestration automation tools (Chef, Puppet, Salt, or Ansible).
- Strong and evolving competence in:
- Java, SQL, noSQL, , Big Data and BI, runtime environments. J2EE, python frameworks and design patterns.
- Strong Scripting languages of at least 2:
- Strong, hands-on Linux/Windows/iOS systems administration skills Working knowledge of IP networking, VPNs, DNS, load balancing and firewalling Ability to work independently with minimal direction and self-manage assigned tasks and projects –
- Strong interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication.
- Strong decision-making, problem-solving skills, critical thinking and testing skillsExceptional attention to detail.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.