Senior Software UI Engineer
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Software UI engineer for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The candidate will report to the Senior Director and work within an agile application team that develops and maintains highly visible and critical applications. The candidate will interact with application, domain and solution architects, delivery leads and all levels of software engineers to establish and enforce application technology standards, design patterns, process, development, and deployment.
The candidate will have responsibility to design, implement, unit test, document and maintain complex technical software solutions in support of the application development and QA processes. Additionally, you will be expected to ensure communications and relationships with customers and cross-team members are professional and meet expectations.
What you’ll do
- Develop and implement solutions, based on a set of standards, patterns and processes which establish consistency across the enterprise data, reduce risk, and promote efficiencies in support of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Developing full stack solutions and continuous delivery frameworks that improve the ability of the CB IT delivery teams to efficiently deliver solutions with quality.
- Write complex code, building infrastructure as code, work with immutable “cloud” based environments, and build the supporting automated toolsets to test and deploy the systems they develop.
- Responsible for the quality of their work; will develop and implement a set of quality criteria and the associated validation method to ensure that any deliverable meets the expected quality levels of our customers, use quality management to ensure quality levels are maintained, seek new approaches and techniques to improve quality levels, employ reviews and observations to maintain the quality and continuous improvement process, and analyze the impact of quality control and quality assurance on project performance.
- Use metrics to establish feasibility of new initiatives and develop plans, including budget, sequencing and time frames.
- Actively review their own and the team’s work processes and implements improvements seen from other teams or in industry to drive continuous improvement of the team’s efficiency, speed, and quality.
- The candidate will also take responsibility for creating design specifications, unit testing, and preparing technical documentation.
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or MIS.
- 5+ years’ experience in general software development such as programming, database development, and infrastructure development and administration.
- 4+ years’ experience with full stack development using Node.js, and related technologies such as MEAN stack.
- 5+ year experience with HTML, CSS2, CSS3.
- 4+ years’ experience with creating and using REST APIs to support dynamic User-Interfaces.
- Preferred 2+ years’ experience with Serverless using AWS Lambda.
- Preferred 2+ years’ experience with AWS services, esp. Lambda, SNS, SQS, S3, IAM, CloudWatch, EC2, RDS and DynamoDB, AWS CLI
- 2+ years’ experience with source control using Git and related tools such as BitBucket and GitHub.
- 2+ years’ experience using CICD tools such as AWS CodeStar, Jenkins, etc.
- 2+ years’ experience working on Agile Scrum teams.
More about you
- Ability to use or learn and use additional AWS services.
- Working knowledge of distributed architectural design patterns.
- Strong and evolving competence in several programming languages and technologies, working knowledge of multiple tools sets, technologies and implementation environments.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong problem solving and analytic skill Ability to handle multiple projects and assignments simultaneously and effectively in a cross-functional team environment.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.