Senior DevOps Engineer
Senior DevOps Engineer
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior DevOps Engineer for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The College Board manages a complex and comprehensive suite of data systems, data feeds and reports to support students and educators across multiple assessments, programs and services. Working within the Information Technology division and across the Operations and key business units, the Senior DevOps Engineer will analyze procedures, and design and implement solutions to attain high data quality and process automation.
The ideal candidate will have designed, developed and implemented solutions that support business functionality as well as the underlying infrastructure required to run and deploy those solutions. The candidate must possess the technical skills and experiences with Amazon Web Services and continuous delivery systems.
The Sr. DevOps Engineer must have excellent written and oral communication skills and be adaptive to the changing needs of the department and the organization. The Sr. DevOps Engineer must have experience with building and maintaining highly effective relationships with team members and multiple stakeholders across multiple projects.
What you’ll do
- Design, develop and implement automated solutions, based on a set of standards and processes which establish consistency across the enterprise, reduce risk, and promote efficiencies in support of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Responsible for the quality of their work; will develop and implement a set of quality criteria and the associated validation method to ensure that any deliverable meets the expected quality levels of our customers, use quality management standards/metrics to ensure quality levels are maintained, seek new approaches and techniques to improve quality levels and analyze the impact of quality control and quality assurance on project performance.
- Use metrics to establish feasibility of new initiatives and develop plans, including budget, sequencing and time frames.
- Provide support (coaching and mentoring) for teammate's work activities on a regular basis
- Actively review their own and the team’s work product and implement improvements seen from other teams or within the industry to drive continuous improvement of the team’s efficiency, speed, and quality.
- Design a system that allows for monitoring and reporting.
- Develop full stack solutions and continuous delivery frameworks that improve the ability of the CB IT delivery teams to efficiently deliver solutions with quality and reduced time to market.
- Write complex code, building infrastructure as code, work with immutable “cloud” based environments, and build the supporting automated toolsets necessary to support the continuous delivery pipeline.
- Integrate COTs products across the continuous delivery pipeline to provide a comprehensive automated system from epic definition, development, test and deploy of CB applications within our data center and Amazon.
- The candidate will plan for work but is primarily a hands-on engineer that leads by doing. The candidate will also take responsibility for creating design specifications, unit testing, and preparing technical documentation. Develop a solution to integrate the life cycle from business initiation through operational integrity
- Support the development of standards by creating templates for ease of use and increase system productivity
- Foster, and build a community of practice for collective learning of the tools and system across all disciplines
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or MIS.
- 5 - 7 years of experience in software systems, programming, and infrastructure development and administration
- Demonstrated experience with full stack development.
More about you
- Experience building infrastructure as code using AWS CloudFormation or similar scripting techniques
- Experience with revision code source code repositories in particular git and SVN
- Experience with the Atlassian Suite, Sonar, Crucible and Electric Commander
- Experience with Distributed Service Standards (SOAP, REST, EJB)
- Familiarity with monitoring tool suites like DataDog, SumoLogic, NewRelic, and Nagios
- Strong practical Linux based systems administration skills and scripting experience in a Cloud based environment
- Working knowledge of IP networking, VPNs, DNS, load balancing and fire walling
- Management of continuous integration servers like Jenkins and Bamboo
- Experience with automated testing tools (i.e. selenium, JMeter) are a plus
- Strong and evolving competence in several programming languages and technologies, working knowledge of multiple tools sets, technologies and implementation environments
- Expertise in the knowledge of programming languages, relational databases, and NoSQL databases
- Experience with Chef, Puppet, Salt, or Ansible in production environments
- Experience as a DevOPS engineer in a scalable production environment
- Ability to self-manage assigned tasks and projects
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Strong interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication
- Strong decision-making, problem-solving skills, critical thinking and testing skills
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.