Software Engineer/ DevOps
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Software Engineer/ DevOps for our IT department. This position can based in Reston, Virginia or New York, NY office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The College Board – a not-for-profit membership organization dedicated to providing excellence and equity in education – is conducting a search for a Software Engineer/ Devops with an interest and background in DevOps. This person will build microservices and stand-up an automated continuous integration and delivery pipeline to enable our team to efficiently deploy into production. This person must be someone who is eager to help us build best practices around automation and excited about learning new technologies.
What you’ll do
- Develop, manage, and monitor microservices within AWS cloud
- Develop a continuous integration and deployment pipeline
- Manage developmental and production environments within AWS cloud
- Develop a suite of automated tests for microservices and infrastructure
- Develop and manage relational databases, NoSQL databases, and knowledge repositories
- Promote Dev Ops and AWS best practices within the team to improve quality, reduce risk, increase security, promote efficiency and reuse, and minimize costs
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or MIS.
- 3-5 years of experience in software systems, programming, and infrastructure development and administration
- Minimum 3 years demonstrated experience with full stack development.
More about you
- Strong and evolving competence in several programming languages and technologies, working knowledge of multiple tools sets, technologies and implementation environments
- Strong understanding of programming languages, relational databases, and NoSQL databases
- Strong practical Linux-based systems administration skills and scripting experience in a Cloud based environment
- Expertise with Git, including branching workflows
- Experience with Distributed Service Standards (REST, SOA, microservices)
- Familiarity with monitoring tool suites (e.g. DataDog, SumoLogic, NewRelic, and Nagios)
- Experience with automated testing tools (e.g. Selenium, Mocha/Chai)
- Working knowledge of IP networking, VPNs, DNS, load balancing and firewalling
- Experience building infrastructure as code using AWS CloudFormation or similar scripting techniques
- Experience with Chef, Puppet, Salt, or Ansible in production environments
- Experience with AWS CodePipeline or the Atlassian Suite, Sonar, Crucible and Electric Commander
- Management of continuous integration servers like Jenkins and Bamboo
- Experience as a DevOPS engineer in a scalable production environment
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skill with the ability to work with a diverse set of colleagues, across functions, from different organizations, disciplines, etc.
- Strong decision-making, problem-solving skills, critical thinking and testing skills
- Self-starter with the ability to set priorities, work independently, and attain goals
- Ethos of continuous improvement and interest in learning new things
- Strong ability to understand and internalize the big-picture and broader implications
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.