Executive Director, South Asia
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Executive Director, South Asia for our International Operations department. This position is based in our New York office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The Executive Director, South Asia will lead the College Board’s India Global Higher Education Alliance initiative to increase the College Board’s reach and expand opportunity for young people in India.
Through the India Global Higher Education Alliance, the College Board has already connected with 15 universities that are committed to offering an admissions pathway through the use of the SAT. At the same time, the College Board has committed to offering reduced price exams and college scholarships to lower-income Indian students. Launched in March with a very successful convening, the initiative has potential to expand the College Board’s engagement, simplify admissions, and offer new opportunity to students of all incomes in India.
Working in close collaboration with key stakeholders in and outside India (delivery partners, NGOs, K-12 schools and educators, universities, government agencies), and multiple College Board teams, this leader will manage senior staff to grow membership in the new Alliance, drive adoption and awareness, refine key elements of the offering, develop a detailed roadmap, and drive completion of all activities needed to grow this strategic initiative.
The Executive Director will also lead the College Board’s business development and relationship management activities across K-12 and Higher Education constituents in South Asia for all College Board programs, including AP, Pre-AP, and the full SAT suite of assessments. The Executive Director will manage on-the-ground consultants who have accountability for volume and growth goals. The Executive Director will also have functional responsibility for key initiatives that span the global market management team.
The Executive Director will be an ambitious leader eager to drive major efforts to advance the College Board’s mission of opportunity on a financially sustainable basis. The role requires the ability to see the big picture while also defining and driving specific actions on an aggressive timeline. He or she will apply exceptional business acumen, analytical rigor, cross-cultural understanding, ability to deal with ambiguity, and strong relationship and communication skills. The ideal candidate is a flexible, well-rounded leader with outreach, sales, or partnership experience within education, especially admissions & enrollment within higher education, strong communication and decision-making skills, and an understanding of India and the broader South Asia region. This individual will have the ability to “lead” when needed and “do” when needed.
What you will do:
This critical leader will have the following responsibilities.
- Oversee and manage the College Board’s new India Global Higher Education Alliance initiative
- Oversee relationships with Alliance members leaders and other key educational influencers in India
- Refine the overall program concept keeping the team informed about its evolution.
- Develop, drive, and monitor the initiative roadmap, launch plan, post-launch plan, business case, and detailed project plan for all phases of the program.
- Collaborate with key internal stakeholders to implement key program elements like e.g., access initiatives, convenings, and delivery of specific products and services.
- Develop and execute on a comprehensive marketing and communications plan.
- Identify, negotiate with, and manage a wide range of partners (delivery partners, NGOs, government agencies, etc.) to structure and implement agreements
- Define and implement key initiatives to expand access to Indian higher education to low income students.
- Report on project-related tasks to ensure timely and successful implementation of the initiative.
- Collaborate with key internal stakeholders as needed on all of the above
- Provide senior level representation at external events/meetings/conferences
- Develop and execute on a strategic business plan to drive adoption of College Board programs (AP, pre-AP, PSAT, SAT) across their assigned region to meet volume & growth goals.
- Manage on the ground consultants to develop segment specific plans for developing new relationships and driving adoption of College Board programs in their regions/territories to achieve volume and growth goals.
- Manage existing and build new relationships with key influencers in schools, educational agencies and institutions (e.g., national & provincial ministries of education), vendors, and other key education players within their assigned regions with the express objective of growing usage of College Board programs (AP, pre-AP, PSAT, SAT) in a fiscally responsible manner in priority geographies.
- Collaborate with relevant International team members to communicate critical constituent requirements and develop solutions/plans to address those requirements in the context of College Board programs and infrastructure.
- Have a deep understanding of College Board programs to expertly articulate the value proposition of College Board programs in a compelling manner in both public and private settings with government leaders, school leaders, educators, students, parents, and other influencers in education in the region.
- Assist with resolution of escalated issues from schools/educators and insuring appropriate response by College Board programs and functional units.
- Successfully manage a team of staff and consultants, some of whom may be remote.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required
- Prior experience in higher education (admissions & enrollment), management consulting serving educational clients, educational product management, or educational sales experience preferred
- A minimum of 10 years of higher education, consulting, product management or educational sales experience
- Experience with education in India a plus
- Openness to relocating to India a plus
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Ability to think creatively about fresh approaches to challenges.
- Excellent analytic and quantitative skills, including ability to identify and obtain needed data to confirm/backup hypotheses
- Strong organization skills and ability to manage multi-faceted projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to present to internal executives and external stakeholders
- Problem solving and negotiation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to effectively handle multiple situations simultaneously
- Willingness and ability to travel (up to 40%)
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.