The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Vice President, Psychometrics for our Learning, Evaluation, & Research division. This position can be based out of our Yardley, Pa., office, New York City office, or via remote work arrangement.
About the College Board
We are a mission-focused, not-for-profit membership organization that believes in promoting innovation, equity, and excellence for generations of students. Our members include more than 6,000 of the world’s leading colleges, schools, and other educational organizations. We have over 1,900 employees in 13 offices across the continental U.S. and Puerto Rico.
We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators, and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country through programs and services - the SAT, Advanced Placement (AP®) and Pre-AP are just a few. Our work falls broadly into four categories: College Readiness, College Connection & Success, Student Opportunities, and Advocacy.
About the role
The College Board seeks a dynamic, innovative measurement expert to lead its Psychometrics department and support the acceleration and delivery of its transition to digital assessments. The VP of Psychometrics will oversee psychometrics for all College Board products and services, with responsibility for coordinating psychometric resources across the organization, deploying these resources to priority projects, and providing expertise to guide strategic initiatives. They will ensure that the unique expertise within the department is represented in the concept and design stages of new initiatives and in enhancements to established programs and policies. As a member of the Learning, Evaluation and Research division leadership team, the VP will play a leadership role in managing and evaluating organization-wide top tier initiatives, prioritizing both non-discretionary work and new tier-I level initiatives, and developing a departmental strategic plan. Overseeing a team of 40+ FTEs, primarily statisticians and psychometricians, they will lead execution of approximately 200+ separate projects within psychometric analysis and test development.
The VP of Psychometrics is accountable for the psychometric quality and efficiency of all CB assessment programs, and will work closely with other officers, consultants, and external leaders to meet these goals while responding to external demands and customer needs. They must have an appreciation of business needs and market demands, with an ability to balance these against industry standards and best practices. The individual should bring innovation and innovators to the organization and expose business leaders to current policy issues and research innovations in the field.
Responsibilities of the role
- Lead internal measurement research and development in computer-based assessment and advance our research-based approach to digital testing
- Evaluate and implement, as needed, novel psychometric solutions for the design and implementation of current and new digital assessment programs
- Provide psychometric leadership and operational services to current College Board assessment programs and products, including the SAT Suite of Assessments, AP, Pre-AP, ACCUPLACER®, and CLEP®
- Expertly communicate key psychometric analysis and conclusions to a wide range of internal and external audiences, including the CEO, President, and senior officers, in user-friendly formats
- Write and review technical and research reports involving psychometric analyses, test validity and reliability, mode comparability, and other areas generally relevant to College Board assessments
- Maintain a highly motivated and creative team and ensure the highest levels of staff productivity, effectiveness, and engagement
- Implement effective quality management processes and quality control procedures to ensure timely and accurate psychometric analyses
- Serve as a national expert who represents the quality and credibility of our assessment programs within the measurement community and with states, policy makers, and the press
- Work closely with other College Board divisions in all new product development and enhancements
- Recruit high quality technical staff to meet the demands of the organizations. Also recruit graduate student interns and national experts who serve in consultative and advisory roles
- Provide analysis, psychometric advice, and applied research consultation and support to senior management, program staff, regional staff, and external users and customers as needed
Qualifications needed for the role
- Ph.D. in educational research, measurement, psychology, or a related quantitative area with at least 15+ years’ experience in an educational research or assessment organization is required, including 10 years in a management or leadership role
- It is required that this individual has demonstrated success in development and operational deployment of one or more computer-based assessments
- Candidate should have a record of academic and technical publications relevant to methodological issues in support of computer-based assessment
Related Skills and Other Requirements
- Recognition as a national expert or leader in measurement and educational assessment
- Ability to lead a large team while implementing, unique methodologies in a clear, effective way
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including technical presentation, public speaking, interpersonal, and writing and editing skills
We offer an outstanding benefits package that includes up to four weeks of paid time off each year, comprehensive health insurance, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, ongoing professional development and training, and more.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
College Board is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.